Re: Connection reset by peer

On Wed, May 9, 2012, at 04:02, Edgar Rodolfo wrote:
> 2012/5/9, Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost>:
> > On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 07:28:36PM -0500, Edgar Rodolfo wrote:
> >> I tried it, i can use pkg_add after 10 or more minutes, i think
> >> that is no confortable..., how can i do that the connection to be
> >> continuous?
> >
> > Well, this is a network problem, not a pkg_add problem.
> >
> > "Connection reset"  means that your pkg_add has sent packets for a
> > TCP connection that was already there in a different state, or that
> > didn't exist (... anymore).
> >
> > I'd guess that your machine changed its public address while that
> > connection was active, or that your NAT box or your firewall box
> > dropped its record of the connection in between.
>
> Thanks for your reply. It could be, but i remember that i tried other
> things, e.g. ping -c4 www.yahoo.com or another thing, it was working,
> i don't believe that my network is the problem, but i understand many
> things and it could be a possibility...

That only proves that you can make connections to remote servers.  We
already knew that, because pkg_add did not complain about being unable
to connect to the ftp server.  It complained that, after you connected,
the connection was reset (i.e. dropped).  Ignatios has suggested a
couple of reasons why that might happen.

Are you behind a NAT?  Are you behind a firewall?  The next time it
happens, you could also check whether your DHCP lease was renewed and
changed your IP address in the middle of the download.  Downloading
large files (like packages) needs a more stable connection than ping,
which only
takes a few milliseconds.

-- IDL