Re: current - update : pkg_info crashing

On 9/21/11 4:48 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,
If you are using current, you should not need to have pkg_install
installed (which appears to be the case because this is using pkg_info
from /usr/pkg/sbin instead of /usr/sbin).

Try rebuilding and updating pkg_install from pkgtools/. If you are
rebuilding the same version and the problem goes away, this might be a
compatibility issue with libc or the kernel.

If it does not go away, it's probably a pkg_info bug. You should
contact tech-pkg@ to report it.
thank you for your suggestion.

I updated pkg_tools by issuing "make update" in its pkgsrc directory.

It is interesting that I still have both pkg_info version installed:

Running make update in the pkg_install directory will leave you with two versions installed.

however, when running "make update" on wine it still crashes with the
"other" pkg_tool.

Most likely this is due to the order of the tools in your path.

Is it correct to have those two versions installed at all? Apparently
pkg_tools is only required by nih, which I removed. But "pkg_install" is
maked as not for deletion and I cannot delete it.

You can force its deletion, although I'm not sure if things will continue working just fine. (They should if your base system is up to date and includes the same version of pkg_install as pkgsrc...)

You could also try to change your path ordering and see what happens. But if a make update did not fix it, I don't expect to fix this either.

You may want to loop in the pkg_install's maintainer, joerg@, as this segfault seems a bug.