Re: glassfish on NetBSD?

 >>> Not everybody can afford to run -current.
 >>
 >> That disturbs me. NetBSD puts lots of effort to avoid regressions and
 >> keep -current in a working state, reasonably. The kernel provides binary
 >> compat modes for versions that are 10 years older or more. Running
 >> current also helps testing.

> That may be true, but I certainly don't expect our users to run
> -current even when they could.  What disturbs me is that sometimes we
> have to tell our users to "run current" when they stumble upon a
> problem in a formal release

This problem can be solved partially if some portions of NetBSD were a
part of pkgsrc, e.g. "wip" or additional category, say, "netbsd". For
example, bin, usr.bin, and several puffs modules can be packaged in WIP
using wip/mk/cvs-package.mk.  Userspace can even be implemented as a
portable (to different OSes) packages, see wip/netbsd-awk

> or when they lack a driver.

Yes, in NetBSD this is the problem #1 IMHO :-(

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.