Re: lshw for netbsd ?

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 03:59:32PM +0200, feralert wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon
> <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:29:36PM +0200, dieter roelants wrote:
> >>
> >> That doesn't sound too different from what dmidecode does. You can find
> >> it in pkgsrc (sysutils/dmidecode).
> >
> > If you're running a production server in a configuration where dmidecode
> > works...don't.
>
> Pardon my ignorance but... why? I mean, I already did in one of them
> and it worked fine but, is it a risk?

It means you're running a kernel with options INSECURE, which turns off
many important kernel security protections.  On desktop systems this is
sometimes necessary so X11 will work, but it should not be the case on
servers.

If you do not want to recompile your kernel, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and
add the line:   kern.securelevel=1

Thor