Re: NetBSD on Dell Latitude E5510 or E6510 or Precision M4500

    Date:        Fri, 4 Mar 2011 06:17:43 -0500
    From:        Christopher Berardi <cberardi%natoufa.com@localhost>

  | so I wrote this script:
  |
  |     #/bin/sh
  |
  |     /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant restart
  |     /etc/rc.d/network restart
  |     /etc/rc.d/dhclient restart

I generally just do the first of those, a net interface going away can't
possibly require "network restart" (if it does, something is seriously
brain dead) - if you use dhcpcd rather than dhclient, it will (effectively)
restart itself when wpa_supplicant has reconnected - that said, I'm still
using dhclient (too lazy to figure out the dhcpcd equivalent of my dhclient
configs...), and while it ocassionally benefits from a restart, mostly I
get the network working again within lease timeouts, so dhclient usually
needs no attention.

  | And then I made a cron job (as root) that called this script every
  | 30 minutes. That alleviated about 90% of my issues.

I do it manually when I need it - partly because I mostly only use EAP tyoe
auth when I don't need the wireless at all (ie: I have a wired connection
that is faster...) and because when it does need to reconnect, it can be
quite slow authenticating (sometimes it takes minutes), so when I am not
wired, it's better to not restart wpa_supplicant when it doesn't actually
need it.