Re: 5.1 release?

On 2 Sep 2010 at 8:25, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> > Basically, http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/req-5.cgi?status=open
> > but the list of tickets or bugs holding the release is private, AFAIK.
> > From what I know, 2 more tickets needs to be processed, and a new RC
> > will be cut.
>
> > --
> > Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>
> I too have been burning with curiosity about 5.1 release, or if there would
> be an RC4, since the time interval since RC3 has become much greater than
> between RC1 and RC2, or RC2 and RC3.
>
> But now my question is how do I update the source code, what is the preferred
> way.  I can download either the source sets or sourcecd iso, but the question
> is how to update the source directories.
>
> There is the obvious
>
> rm -R /usr/src/*
> rm -R /usr/xsrc/*
>
> and then unpack the new source, but is that the preferred way, or is there
> something more efficient, more elegant, possibly using cvs?

I've used cvs, it needs a little bit of setting up
which is described in the NetBSD guide.

cd /usr
cvs checkout -rnetbsd-5 -P src

or if you already have sources

cd /usr/src
cvs update -A -rnetbsd-5 -dP

That resulted in NetBSD 5.1_RC3

Once I had built the sets I used them to update my
pcs by copying over, first copy a kernel and confirm
bootup is ok, then unpacking required sets except
for etc.tgz

Alternative used to be to download a source.tgz but
either format or location has changed.

Ready built sets can be downloaded
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.1_RC3/i386

or the iso can be burned to cd and systems updated
from cd.

David