Re: Lingua franca file system Linux-NetBSD-FreeBSD?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Thomas Mueller
<mueller6727%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:
> What is the best choice for a file system that can be read, and safely
> written to, by Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD?

I thought UDF was supposed to be the solution to all of this. A friend
of mine had a USB external hard disk formatted with UDF and it worked
fine with both Linux and Windows. I think it's not as common for
formatting magnetic disk based filesystems as it probably should be
though. It's mostly used for DVDs.

As for the ext2fs stuff, it could be that the default newfs options
are not compatible across all of the operating systems. You might be
able to use the e2fsprogs tools in pkgsrc to find out what's going on.
There is a tool in that, I think called e2fsdump, which will show you
all of the options that the filesystem was created with. You can then
use mount_ext2fs with the correct options to mount the filesystem. I'm
guessing the defaults across operating systems are not compatible, or
something.

UDF really should work though.

Andy