Re: Lingua franca file system Linux-NetBSD-FreeBSD?

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 09:55:54AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > There is the obvious possibility of using msdos (FAT32); I could run
> > FreeDOS on such a partition as well as using the partition to share data
> > between Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD, and FreeDOS too.  Drawback is some
> > problems getting long file names straight, and lack of case sensitivity.
> > But maybe FAT32 is the safest choice?

> I'd try this option, before going the FAT32 way.

Did you slip here?  My option that you cite is FAT32.

> There also used to be a UFS file system in linux, but I've no idea if it
> can safely mount a modern BSD FFS.

Not sure about the safety of read-write, but I've successfully mounted a NetBSD
partition from Linux read-only.  That should be safe?

Linux could not read a FreeBSD disklabel.  NetBSD partition had only the
sysinst default: root partition and swap partition.  In the future, I think I'd
want a separate partition for /home; think that would be a good idea for Linux
too, using an extended partition in the case of Linux.

> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>

Tom