Re: Looking for guidance on filesystem tuning

At Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:16:40 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Re: Looking for guidance on filesystem tuning

> Also, I'd use dovecot, but cyrus-imapd might be ok.

I think Cyrus IMAPd is the right solution of all those currently
available for all sized sites, even single-user.

I've never installed dovecot, but even looking at the PLIST for the
pkgsrc module gives me the willies.  I particularly don't even begin to
believe the claims about security given in the DESCR file.  It's also
using Maildir, which has its own problems, particularly with the fact
that readdir(3) is not an atomic operation.  Dovecot attempts to address
this problem by adding its own private locking on top of Maildir, thus
effectively creating a private mail store anyway.

I'd say just use Cyrus IMAPd, and in addition I'd say avoid Dovecot, and
avoid Courier-imap, and especially avoid imap-uw.  I say this as a
summary of having managed e-mail sites for 20 years, and including IMAP
at most of those sites for ten years now.

That said, I don't install cyrus-impad straight out of pkgsrc either --
I have quite a few local changes to the pkgsrc module, as well as a
number of additional patches to the Cyrus code as well.  Most are minor
cleanups and simplifications, but one functional change I add is to turn
the "autocreate" option into one which allows automatic creation of an
INBOX upon delivery as well as allowing explicit creation of the INBOX
by the user.  My change is like several floating around out there, but
none have been accepted by the Cyrus project because none of these
autocreate patches yet deal with the cluster configuration used by very
large sites.  (My autocreate patch long pre-dates support for clustering
by the Cyrus project.)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.