Re: 4.0.1 -> 5.0

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost>
wrote:
> In article
> <ab7b49bc0905011420n7ec2e6e4w998f640b9c4c813e%mail.gmail.com@localhost>,
> Neal Hogan  <nealhogan%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>This is my first time upgrading a netBSD system. I've had 4.0.1 on it
>>for a while and it's a pretty old laptop (mid 90's) and,
>>unsurprisingly,  pretty slow.  I'm working through
>>http://www.netbsd.org/docs/current/#installing227 and booting the new
>>GENERIC i386 kernel is taking . . . well . . . forever. I realize that
>>my machine is slow and am accounting for that, but the "building
>>databases" part of the boot took over night and "clearing /tmp" seems
>>to be taking about as long. The system is minimum . . . base, system
>>comp.
>
> Something is wrong with the new kernel, perhaps time related or interrupts.
>
> Can you give us a dmesg output?

I'd be happy to.

Is there a way to get one without it fully booting? I'm looking at
possibilities within single-user mode, but if you could help in the
meantime, that would be great.

Just to remind . . . I get an IP. I just never get to a prompt (during
normal, multi-user boot).

Thanks!

--
www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com