4.0.1 -> 5.0

This is my first time upgrading a netBSD system. I've had 4.0.1 on it
for a while and it's a pretty old laptop (mid 90's) and,
unsurprisingly,  pretty slow.  I'm working through
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/current/#installing227 and booting the new
GENERIC i386 kernel is taking . . . well . . . forever. I realize that
my machine is slow and am accounting for that, but the "building
databases" part of the boot took over night and "clearing /tmp" seems
to be taking about as long. The system is minimum . . . base, system
comp.

I guess all I'm asking is whether I need to be more patient. I
apologize I don't have a dmesg, but as I suggest above the machine
doesn't have much. I essentially did a fresh install of 4.0.1, which
runs fine, and immediately began the upgrade to 5.0 (I didn't even add
a non-root user).

I appreciate your time.

-Neal

--