Re: LTO-2 acting up with netbsd-5?

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> I have an LTO-2 drive that I have been using with amanda and netbsd-4
> for several years, with basically zero trouble.
>
> ahc2 at pci1 dev 5 function 0: Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
> ahc2: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 18
> ahc2: aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
>
> scsibus1 at ahc2: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
> scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>
> st0 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <CERTANCE, ULTRIUM 2, 1914> tape removable
> st0: sync (12.50ns offset 127), 16-bit (160.000MB/s) transfers
>
> I have just upgraded the machine (vanilla i386, Intel 845 mobo) to
> netbsd-5 as of 2/21, and also upgraded amanda.  Now, I am getting the
> following error on writing to the tape:
>
> st0(ahc2:0:5:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x0a 00 00 80 00 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Aborted Command
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Data Phase Error
>
> Sometimes this happens soon, and sometimes after 30GB or so.

Further information:

I had holding disk as LFS, and was getting processes stuck in tstile.  I
converted the filesystem back to UFS2 with logging.  Now I don't get the
tstile problem.  Is there an open PR about lfs and netbsd-5?

The tape drive still seems to be acting up.  I have ordered a new one.

When writing to tape, the system was very sluggish, but load average
remained low.  I tried to write DVD while writing to tape, and
apparently provoked a reboot.

So I wonder if locking is not quite right with st(4).

Is anyone else either successfully using a SCSI tape drive, or having
trouble with one, under 5.0?  How about SCSI disk on ahc(4)?