Re: HUAWEI E870?

Yes, I can, I finally found the up-to-date local (that is, remote from
the remote laptop) backup.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:55:10AM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>
> > Don't know about the 3G stuff, but a Nokia phone with GPRS that my boss
> > uses asks - on connecting the laptop - whether I want the computer to
> > connect to it as a storage device. You have to *deny* this to get a
> > connection as a ucom* - you then can use it as a normal modem.
>

> Can you share the PPP configurations or other configs you use for this?

Nothing special. The Nokia 6310 (?)  shows up as an umodem *if you
deny (on the phone) connection as a USB mass storage!*.

My dial script is like this (to enable theuser to change the configuration
on the road):

As you can see, I added the GPRS case later. The explicit number case
is for the former Univ. modem bank, which speaks PPP directly, while
the default case is for a modem login where you have to login as the
PPP user to run PPP.

The configuration for GPRS is more or less standard search machine
result for T-Mobile and resellers. Use "internet.t-d1.de" to get a
non-NATted version.  Other GSM providers work in similar ways for GPRS
or HSCD or UMTS, afaik.

(Do NOT user "internet.t-mobile.de" (with .de appended) ; that's
rumoured to be a 10.0.0.0/8-only haveily filtered one that only allows
access to a web proxy.)

#!/bin/sh
prefix=`/usr/bin/awk '{print $1}' /usr/home/theuser/prefix`
phones=`/bin/cat /usr/home/theuser/phone`
user=`/bin/cat /usr/home/theuser/user`
pass=`/bin/cat /usr/home/theuser/password`
init=''
echo search cs.uni-bonn.de > /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver ...  >> /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver ...  >> /etc/resolv.conf

for phone in $phones; do
        dial=$prefix$phone
        case $phone in
                gprs|GPRS)
                        echo search cs.uni-bonn.de > /etc/resolv.conf
                        echo nameserver 193.254.160.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf
                        dial='*99#'
                        init='+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.t-mobile"'
                        success=CONNECT
                        user=''
                        passprompt=''
                        pass='';;