Re: redundant net links?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:02 -0500, "matthew sporleder"
<msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> NetBSD has carp support.  (at least, it's in the guide-
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-carp.html)

OK, thanks for the link - this matches my experience with the OpenBSD
implementation, it seems

> IPMP is for interface redundancy on a single solaris server.  Sun
> cluster would be more appropriate for failing over ip addresses
> between two solaris boxes.

ah ... of course ... that makes more sense ... hadn't straightened out
the intent behind them in my head properly ... so, looks like I should
be using CARP then ...

> As far as I know, neither of these
> technologies exist on NetBSD, but I would love to be corrected.

IPMP doesn't sound like it should be too hard to implement on NetBSD if
it isn't available already in pkgsrc - Solaris uses a user-space program
(in.mpathd from memory) to migrate an application IP alias between the
two physical NICs.  I think it's as simple as in.mpathd doing pings from
each NIC to a nominated target IP and/or monitoring link status and
doing a failover when necessary ... afaik there isn't any interaction
required with network elements outside the host ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left