Getting ethernet to work

After some struggling, I finally got the "current" kernel to compile. I built a striped down version of GENERIC to MYKERNEL, and everything works, except the ethernet driver. It will not log on via dhcp. The dmesg says the following:

fxp0: at pci1 dev 1 function 0: i82559 Ethernet, rev 8
fxp0: interrupting at irq 3
fxp0: May need receiver lock-up workaround
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:b7:ab:b2:dc
inphy0: at fxp0 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 4
inphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I do not know what the "may need receiver lock-up workaround" means. I assume the problem is in the ethernet driver as opposed to the DHCP startup script. Thanks for the help.