Re: redundant net links?

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Malcolm Herbert <mjch%mjch.net@localhost>
wrote:
> I'd like to set up a redundant set of hosts to manage a web application.
> I'm familiar with IPMP in the Solaris world and have had a small amount
> of exposure to CARP from OpenBSD ...
>
> In this case, I'm wanting to set up a web service on two hosts such that
> one will take over the application IP from the other under certain
> conditions (link failure or for maintenance).
>
> What do others use to create resilient networked applications on a
> NetBSD platform?
>
> It's a very basic web interface and doesn't have any server-side session
> state to manage, so it should be fairly easy to set up - just the IP
> failover would be enough as long as the server app is listening on both
> hosts in an active/active condition ...
>
> ... to be honest I'm not sure where/why one would use CARP instead of
> IPMP as they seem to do a very similar job (although CARP also offers
> load sharing/balancing)
>
> Has anyone tackled something like this before?

NetBSD has carp support.  (at least, it's in the guide-
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-carp.html)

IPMP is for interface redundancy on a single solaris server.  Sun
cluster would be more appropriate for failing over ip addresses
between two solaris boxes.  As far as I know, neither of these
technologies exist on NetBSD, but I would love to be corrected.

Matt