Re: UPS Advice

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:15:55PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> They are magic cables, apparently dreamed up by someone who had been
> ingesting too much of some very interesting substances...
>
> A bit of config magic is, I think, needed; I have this in my config
> file:
>
>       ugen*   at uhub? port ? vendor "0x051d" flags 1
>
> which yields
>
>  ugen0 at uhub1 port 1
>  ugen0: APC Back-UPS ES 725 FW:802.n2.D USB FW:n2, rev 1.10/1.06, addr 2

The magic cables are the RS-232 ones; AFAIK the USB cables are generic; I'm
using a generic USB B->A cable that came with some other piece of USB HW for
connecting my ACP UPS to my Netra.

I forget if I had to force a ugen or if it simply worked; however, getting
it attached as a ugen* is key, at least for apcupsd.

--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|