Re: UPS Advice

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:31:18 -0500
Rafal Boni <rafal%pobox.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:12:33PM -0500, I wrote:
> > I have one of the smartUPS boxes, and while it has both serial and
> > USB, I'm running it via USB for lack of the right cable for the
> > serial port. I think I tried NUT but had trouble with the USB
> > attachment and ended up using apcupsd.  Works fine, though.
>
> I should elaborate; I have no idea if the APC UPS serial cables are
> magic anymore or can use a single straight through / null-modem
> cable, but the machines on the UPS are a few suns with RJ45 serial
> ports and I didn't have the right connectors to convert RJ45<->DB9 at
> the time and was out of USB serial fobs.

They are magic cables, apparently dreamed up by someone who had been
ingesting too much of some very interesting substances...

A bit of config magic is, I think, needed; I have this in my config
file:

        ugen*   at uhub? port ? vendor "0x051d" flags 1

which yields

 ugen0 at uhub1 port 1
 ugen0: APC Back-UPS ES 725 FW:802.n2.D USB FW:n2, rev 1.10/1.06, addr 2

Is there a table in the kernel where such things can be kept?