Re: rump vs. smbfs

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:10:49PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2009, at 11:11, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> That is what I want as well. But as the remote server is
> a dump NAS device I also want to handle the deletion of
> old dumps remotely. And that seems to be quite tricky
> via "smbclient".

You can do all of that sort of thing through smbclient.  In
my backup script I define a helper function to wrap smbclient,
that uses the -c flag to pass in commands and -D to specify an
initial working directory.  Then I can script "ls" and "rm" and
"put" commands just as you would expect, without having to
specify the share path and workgroup over and over again.

Cheers,

Andrew