Re: Manually creating slices

On Nov 29,  9:19am, James Colannino wrote:
} John Nemeth wrote:
}
} >      The maximum size of an fdisk partition is 2TB.  If I recall right,
} > you said that your disk is 1.4TB, so this should be okay.  I don't know
} > the maximum size of disklabel partition off-hand, but it is probably
} > the same.  The only issue would be problems with signedness.  I don't
} > know if there are any or not.  I don't expect problems with doing this,
} > but I can't say with certainty.
}
} Looks like the int is signed, because fdisk complains when I try to
} resize because it sees negative numbers.  Now, I'm really not sure what
} to do except create the two partitions and try the "cheat" you told me
} about earlier.
}
} Should I file a bug report for this?

     You could, but this would require investigation.  We could easily
fix the signedness issue, but I don't know if it is required for
compatibility with other systems, including boot loaders.  Also, you
may hit a signedness issue in disklabel, but the cheat will tell you
that.  Ultimately the solution to all these problems is GPT.  However,
I don't know if your BIOS supports booting from a GPT disk.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table for more
information.

}-- End of excerpt from James Colannino