Re: Manually creating slices

John Nemeth wrote:

     You could, but this would require investigation.  We could easily
fix the signedness issue, but I don't know if it is required for
compatibility with other systems, including boot loaders.  Also, you
may hit a signedness issue in disklabel, but the cheat will tell you
that.

Hmm... Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to hang onto the machine long enough to provide ongoing information, so I guess a bug report probably wouldn't be a good idea. I'll give the cheat a try and see if that works.

Ultimately the solution to all these problems is GPT.  However,
I don't know if your BIOS supports booting from a GPT disk.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table for more
information.

I'll have to look into that. I've used GPT in the past on Linux, but that was with non-bootable partitions, so the BIOS wasn't an issue. Are there GPT-capable tools in NetBSD (assuming I can boot from it)? The only problem I foresee is that I'd probably have to install from scratch instead of with sysinst. I don't mind doing that (it would be a good learning experience), but is there any documentation available that would tell me how to do it?

Thanks for all the help so far :)

James
--
eRacks Open Source Systems