NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Tasks

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > There is one thing missing in sh's implementation of tab
> > completion: when you want to complete a command name, it instead
> > attempts to complete a file name.
>
> This works for me with ksh and the following [bind command]
> I will add it to shrc.

ksh already DTRT with only "set -o emacs".  I don't see a need for
any extra "bind" commands.  Try this:

        othershell$ ( unset ENV ; PS1='ksh$ ' ksh -i )
        ksh$ set -o emacs

> > If that were fixed, and if it grew a "set -o braceexpand" option,
> > then I would personally have no need for bash.  (At least, I am not
> > aware of any other bash features that I rely on and that are missing
> > in /bin/sh.)
>
> According to the manual page ksh has this.

Yes, ksh has it.  I was talking about sh.

Anyway, I suppose this is an answer to my question on the wiki about
"why ksh instead of sh".

--apb (Alan Barrett)