Re: Branching for netbsd-10 next week

On Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 10:03:46AM +0100, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> compatibility. However, if I understand correctly, this only affects new
> installations? If I migrate an existing NetBSD 9 to 10, nothing changes in
> the file system format. I.e. as long as I do not actively initite the
> migration, I can always access it with NetBSD 9.

Correct. No special action is needed if you never run any current kernel
on it and file systems will remain plain FFSv2 (and have EAs deactivated).

> How likely is it that I
> will have to access the filesystem with NetBSD 9 after a new installation of
> NetBSD 10?

Not very, IMHO. And in the cases you want, there is a path to convert it.
As Robert pointed out, you don't need to fiddle with the not-in-tree
ufs2ea-flip tool, you can just use "fsck_ffs -c" from your -current (or
netbsd-10) install.

Martin