Re: Branching for netbsd-10 next week

Hello Martin,

Am 08.12.22 um 20:21 schrieb Martin Husemann:
Now the question: should the default install really use this new FFS type,
or should it default to plain FFSv2?

thanks for the good news about the branching progress, as well as the good preparation of the topic around the installer and the support for EA/ACL. Depending from which point of view one sees NetBSD, one or the other variant could appear as the better one. Here therefore only my completely personal opinion.

For classification: I see NetBSD as a solid server operating system for small and medium appliances. I prefer it (not only) because of the stability and the low maintenance effort to all other Unix variants everywhere where I can make the decision myself and take responsibility. I hope that NetBSD will keep its relevance in this area or even gain it. Thats why I would like to see stable features that are standard on other comparable operating systems also enabled by default on NetBSD. This concerns not only the ACLs, but for example also WAPBL (log). This would make it easier for new users on modern systems to get started.

Especially regarding the ACLs, which allow for the first time to run an Active Directory compatible domain controller with NetBSD, a nice straight path opens up which has the potential to lead to a wider distribution and thus better test coverage in those inhomogeneous environments where NetBSD has not been present so far due to this gap. The detour over the single user mode and the execution of a migration on the nevertheless just freshly installed system represents here an unnecessary complication.

On the other hand, of course, I also see the concerns about backward compatibility. However, if I understand correctly, this only affects new installations? If I migrate an existing NetBSD 9 to 10, nothing changes in the file system format. I.e. as long as I do not actively initite the migration, I can always access it with NetBSD 9. How likely is it that I will have to access the filesystem with NetBSD 9 after a new installation of NetBSD 10? I can only think of experimental or recovery scenarios. In such cases, is it possibly more reasonable to refer the (experienced) user to single user mode and migration than the (new) user for a fresh install?

Probably you can read it out - I would vote for FFSv2ea as default, but am also fine with the opposite if there are good reasons for it. It's ever just a few keystrokes in the installer ;-)

Many greetings
Matthias