Re: HEADS UP: UFS2 extended attribute changes will be committed tomorrow

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 09:09:22AM +0100, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Hello Chuck, hello all
>
> I have done some tests with a current build. I did a complete
> reinstallation. I noticed a few small things that I would like to point out.
> Some of the things are probably not caused by the current commit, I just
> want to mention them in the context from a user's point of view:
>
>  - UFS2 seems to be the default in Sysinst when FFSv2 is selected. I did not
> find a selection to explicitly choose UFS2ea. A new installation with UFS2ea
> enabled FFSv2 as root filesystem is currently only possible via a detour
> (conversion via fsck in single user mode). Would an addition of sysinst be
> desirable here?

yes, there should be a way to tell sysinst to create UFS2ea rather than UFS2
(or vice-versa if we make UFS2ea the default in sysinst).  this was on my
list of outstanding issues but I think I was thinking that Martin would
take care of it (since he's been the one doing most of the sysinst changes
for a long time now).  at any rate, either Martin or I will add this.

> - A FFSv2 with UFS2 (without ea) can be mounted without error message with
> the option "posix1eacls". Only when trying to manipulate an ACL with setfacl
> you get an error message "Operation not supported". Is this due to the fact
> that the mount command generally does not check in advance whether the
> addressed file system supports the options or does not know about them, or
> is this a place where the magic bytes still have to be updated?

that was an oversight.  I think that it would be best to fail the mount if
the fs being mounted cannot support a requested mount option like this.
I'll add a check for that (though it may be a while before I can get to this).

>  - The mount option "posix1eacls" (I think there was a second ACL related
> one?) is missing in the man page mount(8). I feel like I've seen this before
> in a man page...was I looking for it in the wrong place?

the other ACL option is "nfs4acls".  I would have thought that mount options
specific to certain file systems would go in the manpage for that file system's
mount command (mount_ffs in this case), but it looks like some options that
apply only to one file system type are documented in mount.8.  however,
most file-system-type-specific mount options and arguments are documented
only in their respective mount_foo.8 manpages, and I think this is the
better practice to follow.

I'll add the acls options to mount_ffs.8 and see about moving some of the text
in mount.8 to the appropriate mount_foo.8.

>  - The new fsck option "-c" to convert from UFS2 to UFS2es and vice versa is
> missing in the man page fsck(8)

as you noted in your later mail, this is documented only in the fsck_ffs manpage
since it only applies to fsck_ffs and not the fs-independent fsck wrapper program.

thanks for your feedback!

-Chuck