Re: backward compatibility: how far can it reasonably go?

Subject: Re: backward compatibility: how far can it reasonably go?

no, Greg Troxel wrote:

> > I am unclear if ipf has been removed by default from current.

> Even in NetBSD 9, ipf is not in the GENERIC kernel config.

Well I'm running in Xen domUs, so not GENERIC but XEN3_DOMU, and indeed
I'm running all custom kernel builds.

> Was the kernel compiled to use ipf?

Clearly IPF is in the 9.99.81 kernel I booted, since it's functions are
visible in the backtrace of the crash :-)

If it were not compiled in, I think/hope it would not crash -- just the
ipf tool would return an error and complain about something like ENXIO
or maybe ENODEV.  So if IPF were the only problem I would try taking it
out temporarily, but with ifconfig also useless, I'll probably try the
upgrade from the dom0.

> e.g. add to kernel config:
> options         IPFILTER_LOG    # ipmon(8) log support
> options         IPFILTER_LOOKUP # ippool(8) support
> options         IPFILTER_COMPAT # Compat for IP-Filter
> pseudo-device   ipfilter        # IP filter (firewall) and NAT

Yes, all there (and BRIDGE_IPF as well, though I haven't used that
feature yet, and it would likely only be needed in the dom0)

Indeed an identical kernel is already running IPF in another domU
instance, but of course with the corresponding 9.99.81 userland.  It
works as well as ever -- I use it with blocklistd, as well as for basic
firewalling (most of my systems are mostly on a private network with
only one or two ports forwarded to them from the main firewall and so
otherwise using the main FW's NAT for outgoing connections only).

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>