Re: Status of COMPAT_LINUX and Linux emulation?

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 at 22:39, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:41:41PM +0200, Jaromír Doleček wrote:
> > COMPAT_LINUX works as well as always, and will continue working the
> > same. Presence in GENERIC does not change how reliable it is now or in
> > future. There are no plans to remove the actual code, the option as
> > well as the kernel module will continue working.
>
> I just tried (on 9.99.72/amd64):
>
> # sysctl -w kern.module.verbose = 1
> # modload compat_linux
> modload: compat_linux: No such file or directory
>
> In /var/log/messages I found:
>
> DEBUG: module: Loading module from /stand/amd64/9.99.72/modules/compat_linux/compat_linux.kmod
> kobj_sym_lookup, 908: [%M/...t_linux/compat_linux.kmod]: linker error: local symbol @0 undefined
> DEBUG: module: Cannot load kernel object `compat_linux' error=2
>
> The kernel is a GENERIC + SCTP + font change, the module is from a
> 'build.sh'.  Do I need to create the modules specifically for my
> slightly modified kernel? If yes, what's the easiest way?

FWIF, on unmodified GENERIC, I get:

# modstat compat_linux
NAME                       CLASS    SOURCE   FLAG  REFS    SIZE REQUIRES
# modload compat_linux
# modstat compat_linux
NAME                       CLASS    SOURCE   FLAG  REFS    SIZE REQUIRES
compat_linux               exec     filesys  -        0   52392
compat_ossaudio,sysv_ipc,compat_util,compat_50,compat_43,exec_elf64
# uname -a
NetBSD ymir 9.99.72 NetBSD 9.99.72 (GENERIC) #9: Wed Sep  2 17:47:42
BST 2020  sysbuild@ymir:/home/sysbuild/amd64/obj/home/sysbuild/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
amd64
#  /usr/pkg/emul/linux/bin/sh
sh-4.2#