Re: unable to boot amd64-uefi-install from USB stick on a MacBook2,1

At Thu, 23 Jan 2020 15:38:27 -0800, "Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: unable to boot amd64-uefi-install from USB stick on a MacBook2,1

> At Thu, 23 Jan 2020 06:56:26 +0000, maya%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
> Subject: Re: unable to boot amd64-uefi-install from USB stick on a MacBook2,1
> >
> > Try current first, 8.0 EFI has a lot of known bugs.
>
> Nothing past my old 7.99.5 build works -- well nothing I can find
> anyway.  I'm guessing not many people have kept intermediate builds or
> build products from so long ago.
>
> Anyway that's why I guess the problem appeared between 7.99.5 and 8.0

So I've now updated my -current tree to 8.99.64 as of last week some
time and I've had occasion to try booting an amd64 install image on the
MacBookPro Mid 2010 (MacBook7,1) that the previous 8.99.32 build had
booted on A-OK.

Now I end up with sometimes a hang after it prints a bunch of addresses
in a mem[] array, but other times it loads the kernel and displays some
normal boot messages.

Unfortunately the video is now messed up completely and I cannot read
anything -- it is like the green text is splayed across the screen and
so I see a bunch of horizontal lines of somewhat random green dots.

Also unfortunately it seems to hang and there's some evidence of a white
block cursor, but it too is splayed across the last "line" of output and
so there are 5 regularly spaced white blocks.

There is no response from the keyboard, the fan is on quite fast, and
all I can do is hold the power button until it turns off.

I'll try it on the older MacBook next, but I don't hold out much hope.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>