Re: unable to boot amd64-uefi-install from USB stick on a MacBook2,1

At Thu, 9 Jan 2020 01:19:39 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: unable to boot amd64-uefi-install from USB stick on a MacBook2,1

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 04:08:40PM -0800, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > However in searching related things I just came across a reminder about
> > memory issues on this particular model of MacBook2,1.  It originally
> > shipped with 2x1GB memory modules.  At some point I upgraded it to 2x2GB
> > modules.  Under MacOS it only uses 3GB for some reason (though the
> > hardware info clearly shows 4GB installed).
>
> Try building a kernel with PHYSMEM_MAX_ADDR=3096 in that case?

Thank you for the suggestion -- I was trying to remember what to twiddle
to do this, though I had not yet looked at a config file for an example.

So, between bouts of shovelling snow off the driveway I tried the above,
and with 2048, as well as (separately) PHYSMEM_MAX_SIZE=2048.

All with no difference from a plain kernel -- the machine still hangs
hard immediately after clearing the screen.

If I were to post images or a transcription of the output of, for
example, the EFI shell's "memmap" or other such commands, would that be
of any help to anyone who might be able to diagnose this further?

For example it does seem to be a firmware and/or hardware limitation
that the machine only makes available 3GB of the 4GB installed.
"memmap" says (in part) "reserved: 4,384 Pages (17,956,864)" and
"available:  770,146 Pages (3,154,518,016)" and "Total Memory: 3,054 MB
(3,203,006,464) Bytes", for example.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>