Re: Current wisdom on printing from Firefox

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 at 22:53, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 09:55:16PM +0000, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
> > Please, could you (privately?) send me the name of this feature, so I know
> > what to search on?  Or links to specs of a few models that implement the
> > feature?  Thank you!!
>
> On the specification page of the printer, you should find at least
> TCP/IP support and PDF (emulation). If it has both, it is worth checking
> the manual for further details. Another option is called Direct Print,
> e.g. you put files on a USB stick and put it directly into the printer.
>
> Joerg

FWIW after I enabled CUPS and logged into localhost:631, I was able to
add my cheapo MG2900 Canon printer using the .ppd file I found in the
source archive Canon provides for Linux (the CUPS system recognized
the netowrk printer on its own). The printing did not work, as the
filter defined in the ppd file was missing and my feeble attempt to
build it failed; I also suspect that even if I were to build it
somehow, it wouldn't work - the 'source' archive contains shared
libraries...  Anyway, even if it didn't work, I was expecting firefox
print dialog at least to show it, as the original post mentioned.

--
----