Re: "libmpfr.so.4" not found

    Date:        Tue, 2 Oct 2018 20:44:00 +0200
    From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost>

  | I have no idea what you are talking about. The configure script is used
  | during tools build because we hardly know what the build host wants.

That is true of all of the tools part of the build, yet most of it seems to
survive just fine without using anything autoconf related, and while I
haven't looked at it closely, it is hard to imagine that a compression
tool should care all that much about the system, we certainly don't
want it selecting the locations of anything, about all it should be doing,
I'd expect, is locating a compiler to use.

But if it actually worked properly, and configured things for various
different build environments (all by itself) then I woulodn't care (there
are, I think, one or two other configure scripts run as part of the tools
build, and I never get bothered by any of them.,)

  | The regular xz build system (incl. configure) is perfectly willing to do
  | out-of-source builds. A read-only src directory certainly works fine
  | here, i.e. doing a ro-null mount.

Try it when the shell used doesn't implement $LINENO (as one example).
The first thing it does is make a "config.lineno" (in ".,") which it then uses
instead of the original script.   Aside from being how configure scripts work,
I can't imagine any useful purpose during a tools build of knowing what the
line number of somethng that fails - nothing should be failing, or we have
not done a good job of making the tools build environment, it should work
everywhere.   That part of the script should simply be dropped, and if
$LINENO doesn't work, then it doesn't, who cares?

After making it put the config.lineno file elsewhere (for simplicity, I just
shoved it in /tmp. but that's not the right way) then it tried to make config.log,
and after that config.status, and then I gave up trying...o

kre