re: sparc-current xsrc freetype2 vs fonts/fontconfig?

"John D. Baker" writes:
> Primarily to port-sparc@ as it's the plaform on which I see the problem,
> but also to current-users@ as I only see it on 8.99.1[89] and pkgsrc-users@
> since it involves superseding xsrc "fontconfig" with "fonts/fontconfig".
>
> While building "rxvt-unicode" on sparc, it wants "x11/libXft" which
> wants "fontconfig" 2.13.x, so it tries to build it (since xsrc "fontconfig"
> is still 2.12.4).
>
> This fails with:
>
> [...]
>   CC       fcfreetype.lo
> In file included from fcfreetype.c:56:0:
> /var/tmp/pkgsrc/fonts/fontconfig/work/.x11-buildlink/include/freetype2/freetype/ftsnames.h:28:29: fatal error: freetype/ftparams.h: No such file or directory
>  #include FT_PARAMETER_TAGS_H
[ ... ]
> It thinks native freetype2 is OK (22.1.16, after doing a non-update build)
> but it's failing to find things.  Yes, "x11-links" was rebuilt after the
> update.

this is actually not enough.  i'm not sure exactly how to avoid
this problem, if it is the same i saw, but try this.

i had weird build issues on netbsd-8/amd64 and pkgsrc where i
saw similar problems, or perhaps both being linked into the same
end result.

i eventually tracked it down to the way that xsrc has different
shlib versions than pkgsrc (xsrc is generally higher), but having
the old version still around in my /usr/X11R7.  eg, pkgsrc has
libfontconfig.so.1, and xsrc has .so.2 now.  however, my system
is old and had the old xsrc libfontconfig.so.1 still in
/usr/X11R7/lib and the buildlink phase was linking some files
from pkgsrc and some files from x11 for it!

i removed these old files, and rebuilt x11-links from scratch
and then my builds were sane again.  it was critical to rebuild
x11-links _after_ the removal.

FWIW, i posted about this last week:

   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2018/06/05/msg026861.html

> I know there has been some work done on this issue, but port-sparc is
> still missing something.  With native xsrc on -current i386 and amd64,
> "fonts/fontconfig" is built without problems.

see above, perhaps they're just missing the old libs.

HTH,

.mrg.