Re: Crash related to VLANs in Oct 18th -current

Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> writes:

> I don't know anything about 802.1q trunks.
> How can I tell that it is one, and why shouldn't it have a local address?

Maybe it should, at that?  I was just a bit surprised.  I've been
thinking of 802.1q trunk end points as something other than network
interfaces, but of course they're not: there's no reason why the same
physical network link shouldn't be able to carry both tagged and
untagged packets.

...although it's probably not a good idea, most of the time.  :)

> Even if dhcpcd is not used, if IPv6 is enabled in the kernel and
> auto-link local is set for the interface (which it is by default and it
> looks like you've not disabled it in ifconfig.wm0) then you would get
> this address anyway.

That's a system wide sysctl, isn't it?  Not a per interface thing?
Anyway, it doesn't make a difference, what with a trunk in practice
always being a point to point link between trunk ports on VLAN handling
devices.

Anyway, I've updated my local copy with your patch to improve the UDP
error logging, and it's running now.  It'll be interesting to see what
it says -- but I guess, since my network interface does checksumming in
hardware, the reason for the error message is just that dhcpcd sees the
packet from dhcpd on the local host before it gets a checksum.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay