Re: heads-up: sh changes (perhaps fragility)

    Date:        Wed, 07 Jun 2017 04:04:30 +0000
    From:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost>

  | When I said "broke dhcpcd and dhclient", I meant in combination with re.

Yes, I understood that, the question was what "broke": meant.   It is not
a very precise description of the problem.

  | I think dhcpcd in NetBSD 8.99.1 is the most current.

Yes, but you did say that you installed the kernel, and did not (yet)
upgrade userland?

IN that case you woudl have been using an older dhcpcd, right?  How much
older?

  | I got in /var/crash (am now in FreeBSD,
  | mounting NetBSD partition at /media/zip0):

That indicates the kernel panic'd or crashed.

  | dhcpcd got an IP address that I didn't expect;

What address did it get, and what (as best you can guess) did you expect?
What is the dhcp server?

  | host news.individual.net
  | could not find news.individual.net

What got put in /etc/resolv.conf

  | If I ran dhclient instead of dhcpcd, then
  | host news.individual.net  ,
  | system rebooted.

That's interesting, that would be the crash that produced the crash dump.

  | But this really needs a new thread, perhaps on tech-kern list.

Yes, start one there.   Or perhaps better on current-users.

kre