Re: heads-up: sh changes (perhaps fragility)

from Robert Elz:

    Date:        Wed, 07 Jun 2017 04:04:30 +0000
    From:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost>

  | When I said "broke dhcpcd and dhclient", I meant in combination with re.

> Yes, I understood that, the question was what "broke": meant.   It is not
> a very precise description of the problem.

>   | I think dhcpcd in NetBSD 8.99.1 is the most current.

> Yes, but you did say that you installed the kernel, and did not (yet)
> upgrade userland?

I rebooted with the new kernel, but keeping the previous kernel.

I intended to upgrade the userland but wanted to verify the new kernel first.  I didn't even know if it would boot.

If I installed the new userland, it might not run with an older kernel, or parts might run.  I could have a wrecked system, at least no Internet access.

I believe dhcpcd remained at the same version, 7.0-rc1.  This would be announced in doc/CHANGES file.

> IN that case you woudl have been using an older dhcpcd, right?  How much
> older?

>   | I got in /var/crash (am now in FreeBSD,
>   | mounting NetBSD partition at /media/zip0):

> That indicates the kernel panic'd or crashed.

>   | dhcpcd got an IP address that I didn't expect;

> What address did it get, and what (as best you can guess) did you expect?
> What is the dhcp server?

I expected 192.168.0.5 or something with 192.168.0.x where x would be a low number > 1.

I am on a network connected by Arris cable modem which incorporates a router.

>   | host news.individual.net
>   | could not find news.individual.net

> What got put in /etc/resolv.conf

Normally I don't have to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf, should I try that?

Now I wonder if there was some damage to file system.

>   | If I ran dhclient instead of dhcpcd, then
>   | host news.individual.net  ,
>   | system rebooted.

> That's interesting, that would be the crash that produced the crash dump.

>   | But this really needs a new thread, perhaps on tech-kern list.

> Yes, start one there.   Or perhaps better on current-users.

> kre

I have been unable to connect to Ethernet from FreeBSD at times, OpenBSD (liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net), DragonFlyBSD (boot/installation USB stick), but NetBSD was always OK until now.

So was Linux on the System Rescue CD.

Tom