Re: Unexpected kernel device dependency for 'vga* at pci?'

kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost (Robert Elz) writes:

>And as I (kind of said) I never actually tried a config with the "vga* at pci?"
>config included but the wsdisplay* at vga? console ?" omitted, it was both
>or neither for me (just the way it worked out.)

Initially VGA gets attached as console. This has nothing to do
with the config file. It's in the MD consinit() code. This also
attaches an initial wsdisplay screen.

Later VGA may attach at PCI. This provides the regular attachment
and takes over the initial console screen.

Later VGA may attach at ISA. This fails if there is already a
PCI attachment because the hardware is already mapped and cannot
be mapped again.

If there is a radeon driver, it will take priority over the PCI
attachment.  No VGA attaches here but VGA is still the console.
Then it gets a bit kludgy....
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost