Re: Unexpected kernel device dependency for 'vga* at pci?'

    Date:        Sun, 10 Jul 2016 08:32:24 +0800 (PHT)
    From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

  | "Common" yes, but they should not be normal.  The whole point of the
  | config(1) mess is to be able to properly specify dependencies.

Well, really, the point was to make it easier to build the config files,
that before config(1 or 8) appeared used to be built by hand.  Adding forms
of dependency handling has been a more recent add on - and config files
have (since I first saw one I think) never been "anything goes" - there have
always been "of course if you config X you also need Y" type stuff (apart
from the obvious ones that config itself complains about if you mess up, like
a device at pci, and no pci at anything).

  | As I indicated in a follow-up Email, I still need to include a
  |
  |  	vga* at pci? dev ? func ?
  |
  | to avoid a compiler error.  But I have already removed the
  |
  |  	wsdisplay* at vga? console ?
  |
  | line.  The only wsdisplay line I currently have is
  |
  |  	wsdisplay* at radeondrmkmsfb0

That's interesting, I don't have that (or anything like it) in my config
at all - not even commented out.

What I have is (aside from the "at vga?" line) is ...

wsdisplay*      at wsemuldisplaydev?

That one seems to be enough for the kernel to config ...

wsdisplay0 at intelfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100 emulation)

The other related config that I have are ...

i915drmkms*     at pci? dev ? function ?
intelfb*        at intelfbbus?

  | which, according to the dmesg, is where it actually gets attached!

which is what gets attached in my case.   I assume one of the files files
has something that makes an intelfb attach a wsemuldisplaydev, or that the
latter is some kind of macro device for the various <graphics>fb devices.
But I am just guessing...

And as I (kind of said) I never actually tried a config with the "vga* at pci?"
config included but the wsdisplay* at vga? console ?" omitted, it was both
or neither for me (just the way it worked out.)

kre