Re: Unexpected kernel device dependency for 'vga* at pci?'

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Robert Elz wrote:

   Date:        Sun, 10 Jul 2016 07:00:11 +0800 (PHT)
   From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

 | While doing this, I've discovered that a radeondrmkmsfb0-based kernel
 | requires that I retain the
 |
 |  	vga* at pci? dev ? func ?
 |
 | line in the configuration, even though no such device is ever attached.

I saw the exact same problem a month or so ago, but with a system using
integrated intel graphics (core i3 processor).

I didn't bother to mention it as config file inter-dependencies and weirdness
are just "normal" ...

"Common" yes, but they should not be normal. The whole point of the config(1) mess is to be able to properly specify dependencies.

I think I concluded/assumed that the issue may have really related to the

	wsdisplay*      at vga? console ?

line that also had to be deleted (there being no vga? at anything left
in the config - or in the console messages on a GENERIC boot) leaving
nothing marked as "console" - whether that's actually true or not I didn't
bother to find out - I put that entry back, and so had to also return the
vga? at .. config, and after that, it all worked.

As I indicated in a follow-up Email, I still need to include a

	vga* at pci? dev ? func ?

to avoid a compiler error.  But I have already removed the

	wsdisplay* at vga? console ?

line.  The only wsdisplay line I currently have is

	wsdisplay* at radeondrmkmsfb0

which, according to the dmesg, is where it actually gets attached!

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |