Re: x11 cross-compile errors

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, John D. Baker wrote:

> Meanwhile, I did a fresh build of -current/prep on a -6/amd64 host
> WITHOUT the changes to "src/external/mit/xorg/lib/libmesa.mk" since the
> nightly build machines seem to have no problems.

I checked a sample output log and saw that the nightly build systems
are running -6.1_STABLE/amd64, just like my -6/amd64 build system.  In
fact, mine is running with a build updated just a couple of days ago,
so has all the pull-ups up to then.

So, I'm puzzled that the nightly build systems can compile -current for
powerpc, mips64el and sparc ports, but mine cannot--incurring an ICE when
compiling "format_utils.c" in the updated Mesa library.

Is it an SMP issue?  My machine has only one real CPU, but has HTT and
I have it enabled so it pretends to have two.  My build script fires off
'build.sh' with an argument to "-j" that is computed as:

  $(($(sysctl -n hw.ncpu) + 1))

(For comparison, my "big" i386 build host only has 1 real CPU which
claims to support HTT but the machine's BIOS does not provide a means
to enable it.  It is running netbsd-7.)

Is it a memory issue?  I double checked, and it appears I mis-stated the
-6/amd64 machine's resources:

  3328MB RAM + 2GB swap

I think that's because when I first brought the machine up I was of the
impression it was limited to 2GB physical memory, so I only configured
a 2GB swap partititon.  Later, I experiemnted and found it could see
more RAM (although not the full 4GB).

I created a 4GB swap file and added it with priority 1.  I restarted a
build of 'macppc'.  As before, the machine got a little way past
"format_utils.c" due to the SMP and sat there for a long time.

This time, instead of reporting an ICE, the whole machine got wedged.
My SSH connection broke and attempts to reconnect time out.  I have not
yet visited the console, but do not expect to regain control short of
a power-cycle.

Also curious is that, IIUC, Mesa in -7 is updated to match that in
-current yet I can build -7/sparc without any problems on the i386 host.
I haven't tried on the amd64 host yet.