Re: ATF tests still failing to complete within 2 hours on amd64

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 04:27:19PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> A) It's not my code.  If it's broken, it's been broken -- producing non
>    random output -- for a very, very long time.  Now, who is "hostage"
>    to whom?

So all systems panic at boot every 3 out of 10000 times?

> B) Why would you want to run a system with a random number generator that
>    isn't?

I would expect that those parts of the system that use the
random number generator, no longer work as specified and
critical parts would warn me or refuse to work at all.
I wouldn't expect a system crash.

> C) There is exactly one instance of this test that will actually reboot
>    the system: the very first one at boot.  In which case, if the positive
>    is a false positive, the system will just come up perfectly normally
>    a few seconds or a minute later.

Nah, the random number generator is broken, it won't be unbroken after
a reboot.

The point being: 3 out of 10000 is too much.

--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost