Re: tmpfs(8) link to the mount_tmpfs man page?

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:42:41AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>   I have now, many times, done "man mfs" and not even noticed that
> the resulting page I see is actually the mount_mfs man page.  However,
> I'm always surprised to find that tmpfs has no man page!  Well, to be
> more specific, my natural action of "man tmpfs" yields no man page.

Ditto.

>   Initially, I was thinking we should make an MLINKS entry for
> mount_tmpfs.  But, now I'm wondering if we should in fact *undo* the
> MLINKS linking mfs to mount_mfs.8 (in sbin/newfs).

Either one sounds fine to me.

Ideally, there should be a manual page for each file system (cf. tmpfs(8),
hfs(8), and so on), describing some fundamental characteristics. But since
that is unlikely to happen, maybe we should have a generic "filesystems(8)"
where all supported file systems are listed. Then hfs(8), nilfs(8),
ext2fs(8), etc. could be links to that page.

- Jukka.