Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 01:56:15AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2009-12-24 11:37 -0500 (Thu), matthew sporleder wrote:
>
> > I found that git over http actually uses a lot -fewer- cpu resources
> > than git over git://....
>
> I'm thinking that this is on the server, right? Because the git protocol
> makes the server do a bunch of work to repack things into an efficient
> form for transfer, if I recall correctly.
>
> > ...which I think it more like a direct socket
> > without much protocol (similar to git over ssh://).
>
> My impression is that git over ssh is much more similar to git: protocol
> than is git over HTTP.

The description I found of the git over HTTP protocol is that it "assum[es]
no Git specific knowldge on the server side", which means it transfers a
lot more than is strictly necessary.  Here's a link that you might find
useful:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/newsLists/news.eclipse.egit/msg00037.html

eric