Re: git copies of cvs modules available

At Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:38:27 +0200, "S.P.Zeidler" <spz%NetBSD.org@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: git copies of cvs modules available

> htdocs, othersrc, pkgsrc, src and xsrc are now available as
> (bare) git repository copies at
> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/repositories/git.
> These repositories are currently updated every 30 minutes.

So a week or so ago I tried running a "git clone" of that repo and
eventually after a long run it blew up and then my UPS hiccoughed and I
lost whatever error was on the screen.  Basically, IIRC it ran out of
memory, despite me having lots of resources:

        $ ulimit -a
        time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
        file(blocks)         unlimited
        coredump(blocks)     unlimited
        data(kbytes)         262144
        stack(kbytes)        65536
        lockedmem(kbytes)    1276221
        memory(kbytes)       3828664
        nofiles(descriptors) 6668
        processes            2068
        sbsize(bytes)        unlimited

I've just finished successfully cloning the DragonFly src repository
though.

The timestamps on my command-line give a good indication of how things
went.

        16:14 [546] $ git clone -o crater
git://crater.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git DragonFly-src
        Initialized empty Git repository in /rest/work/woods/DragonFly-src/.git/
        remote: Counting objects: 280375, done.
        remote: Total 280375 (delta 205964), reused 279649 (delta 205427)
        Receiving objects: 100% (280375/280375), 213.49 MiB | 26 KiB/s, done.
        Resolving deltas: 100% (205964/205964), done.
        Checking out files: 100% (28778/28778), done.
        19:02 [547] $

        19:15 [552] $ cd DragonFly-src
        19:15 [552] $ du -sk .
        660876  .
        19:15 [553] $ du -sk .git
        228422  .git

Note this is with the proper git:// protocol, which is what I believe
made the difference.

I kept a close eye on the processes running and I don't think the
git-index-pack process got above 20 MB.

I suspect it was a bit slow because it seems their server throttles
connections.

So, can someone please, pretty please, set up git:// access to the git
repository for NetBSD?

I think that would at least make them usable for testing without having
to resort to FTP or rsync or whatever and subsequent hacks to get the
first clone made.  We could maybe also figure out what needs fixing in
the CVS repo to make the conversion process work reliably and correctly.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/