Re: radeon(hd?) on Thinkpad T60p (again)

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 15:15:21 +1100, matthew green wrote:

> >  * radeonhd driver results in some glitches and then a blackscreen
>
> i would avoid using this driver; it is abandoned and the radeon
> drvier covers everything these days.  we probably should remove it.

Well somebody in the other thread from 2012 suggested it might work
better despite being abandoned.

> >  * adding "userconf disable radeondrm" to /boot.cfg doesn't help, X11
> >    is glitchy.
>
> i'm not overly familiar with userconf in boot.cfg, but perhaps
> this isn't the right way, or your /boot is pre- support for
> userconf disable?

That might be the case.

> > I'm running -current/6.99.30.
> > My GPU seems to be (from dmesg)
> > radeondrm0 at vga1: ATI Mobility FireGL V5200
> > radeondrm0: Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613
> >
> > which is interesting, given that I disabled radeondrm in boot.cfg...?
> >
> > Xorg.0.log with radeonhd contains binary garbage.
> >
> > You can find the logs here:
> > http://barfooze.de/tmp/bly/
> >
> > Any ideas appreciated.
>
> are you running i386 or amd64?  i've seen some strange display
> issues on the same hardware with i386 but not amd64, but only
> for one particular radeon card and only when radeondrm was
> active.

i386. IIRC this isn't an amd64 capable CPU. Google seems to confirm
this. (Intel Core Duo T2600)

OpenBSD/i386 ran smoothly on the same hardware. How far diverged are the
NetBSD and OpenBSD drivers for radeon cards? I'm assuming both are
running a mostly unpatched version of the same code?
Any ideas why radeon might be problematic on i386?

> you can also disable DRM directly in xorg.conf.

I'll be trying that next.

Best,
Moritz