Re: Protocol wskbd vs. Protocol standard

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 06:08:48PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 06:00:22PM +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> > One point that always comes up is that we also need a way to handle
> > multiple keyboards connected to a mux with different layouts.
>
> Maybe the layout translation should happen between hardware driver and
> mux. We could actually use XEvent codes as common ground for the mux,
> I suppose, and then make the X side of it completely numb.

In XKB, there are keycodes and keysyms. Keycodes are at the low event
level (up/down events, has to handle auto-repeat,...) and don't carry
any mapping to ASCII or other labels information.

XKB symbols tables map keycodes to keysym events, which carry the
mappiing information.

At the current point (and perhaps to make things easier for anyone
wanting to port Wayland some day...) I thing wscons should pickup
Linux's evdev compatible keycodes and if extensions are needed for
some platforms, those should be fed back to Linux too.

--
Matthieu Herrb