Re: Problems after xorg patch to 5.0_STABLE

On Sep 21, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

On Sep 21, 2009, at 2:22 PM, Rafal Boni wrote:

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:44:35PM -0700, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
On Sep 21, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Jukka Salmi wrote:

However, I removed the directory in question and extracted the set
again, but the screen still goes black as soon as Xorg is running.

Sadly, this is expected.  See PR xsrc/41870.  I am very tempted to
change our X server back to the old behavior of installing a default
cursor immediately and painting the background to that horrible
horrible eye-killing pattern. Much as I hate that default background,
black with no cursor is all kinds of wrong.

Yeah, too many people's reaction to the black screeen w/no cursor has
been "OMG, it's fuxored" (including mine, even now occasionally).  We
should go back to the damn grey stipled screen; it's not like it can't
be changed by whatever eye-candy is running on top of X as soon as it
starts.

Yep. I just committed the change. Now let's all get down to the business of partying like it's 1989.

You mean like when almost no one had heard of buffer overflows? Right...