Re: via_drm broken on netbsd-5

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 03:22:23 -0400
Matthew Mondor <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:05:18 +1000
> matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:
>
> >    Another problem I experience is when using the Savage driver:
> >    /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.so: Undefined PLT symbol
> >    "SAVAGEDRIScreenInit".  The vesa driver fortunately works for now, but
> >    is of course suboptimal...
> >
> > is this with netbsd 5.0 as well?
>
> I'm actually unsure.  Another laptop with S3 was working with XF86 on
> netbsd-4, then the box was upgraded to -current and tracked it until
> 5.99.10 with its base-xorg, on which it also works, but I've not
> touched it since the x11 upgrades.  It's probable that it worked on the
> NetBSD 5.0 release.

So with an update to yesterday's netbsd-5 things are different; I no
longer see a PLT symbol related error.  However, with both DRI and
without, the laptop reboots when starting X11 with the savage driver.

Unfortunately, the dmesg backlog is lost, dumpcore doesn't seem to work
(it complains about (null) bad address at reboot), so I couldn't
diagnose the problem yet.  I might try remote console with ddb later if
I have the time.

On a side note, I also see these in dmesg when savagedrm is enabled
(might not be related):

savagedrm0 at vga1error: [drm:pid0:drm_attach] *ERROR* pci_mapreg info for 32 fa
iled
error: [drm:pid0:drm_attach] *ERROR* pci_mapreg info for 36 failed
: SuperSavage IX/C SDR
savagedrm0: AGP at 0x00000000 0MB
savagedrm0: Initialized savage 2.4.1 20050313

Thanks,
--
Matt