Re: Native Xorg on sparc64

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:49:17PM +1100, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 01:22:15PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >
> > I was unaware of the interface change, and I don't like it either.
> > I think that build.sh without "-x" should not build X11, and
> > build.sh with "-x" should build X11.  Which flavour of X11 gets built
> > by "build.sh -x" should be controlled by variables like MKX11 and MKXORG,
> > with the default possibly changing over time.
>
> I disagree there is no interface change.  Just to be clear -x builds
> XFree86 X11 as it always has. Requiring -V MKX11=yes in addition to -x
> would be an interface change.
>
> -V MKXORG=yes without -x is additional (new) function as such does not
> break any existing interface or way people may have been using build.sh
> in the past regardless of whether or not they set MKX11 in mk.conf or
> specified -x on the command line.
>
> The above clarification aside I would actually prefer the behavior you
> suggest. That is to say -x means build X11 and requiring
> -V MK{X11,XORG}=yes be set to indicate the flavour of X11 desired.
> Doing this however (as discussed above) is a change to the original
> behavior of -x.
>
> If we are going to make such a change to the interface it may be
> worthwhile teaching build.sh -x how to accept an argument indicating the
> desired flavour of X11.
>
> build.sh -x xfree => MKX11=yes
> build.sh -x xorg  => MKXORG=yes

None of what you propose allow us to have a switch that sets X.Org as
the default for a given platform.

That means the autobuild scripts will have to be changed in order to
start building X.Org instead of XFree86 for the platforms we want to
ship NetBSD with X.Org.

And they will have to be changed each and every time a platform will be
added to the ranks of the X.Org worshippers.

I don't think it has ever been clear what -x meant in X.Org vs. XFree86
context;  at the time X.Org didn't exist.  So -x effectively started as
"build with X11 support", not being specific as the flavour was unique.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost