Re: Native Xorg on sparc64

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 01:22:15PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> I was unaware of the interface change, and I don't like it either.
> I think that build.sh without "-x" should not build X11, and
> build.sh with "-x" should build X11.  Which flavour of X11 gets built
> by "build.sh -x" should be controlled by variables like MKX11 and MKXORG,
> with the default possibly changing over time.

I disagree there is no interface change.  Just to be clear -x builds
XFree86 X11 as it always has. Requiring -V MKX11=yes in addition to -x
would be an interface change.

-V MKXORG=yes without -x is additional (new) function as such does not
break any existing interface or way people may have been using build.sh
in the past regardless of whether or not they set MKX11 in mk.conf or
specified -x on the command line.

The above clarification aside I would actually prefer the behavior you
suggest. That is to say -x means build X11 and requiring
-V MK{X11,XORG}=yes be set to indicate the flavour of X11 desired.
Doing this however (as discussed above) is a change to the original
behavior of -x.

If we are going to make such a change to the interface it may be
worthwhile teaching build.sh -x how to accept an argument indicating the
desired flavour of X11.

build.sh -x xfree => MKX11=yes
build.sh -x xorg  => MKXORG=yes

--