Re: colorls in base

On 16.02.2019 00:49, Paul Goyette wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>
>> With colors we can easily scroll thousands of lines in a terminal
>> emulator and immediately catch where is the error message (red) within
>> a fraction of second.
>
> Not true.  My eyes require LARGE amounts of color info, especially for
> certain colors like red.  Depending on the intensity and boldness, any
> red text would appear as some level of gray.  In most cases it would
> appear as <20% or >80% gray, which means that either the text disappears
> completely, or is indistinguishable from normal black text.
>
> Now, if you were to use WHITE text on RED background for the error
> messages, there's a good chance I would see it, since the saturation
> level would be high!   :)  (Please note, I am NOT suggesting that this
> be implemented!)

It's a personal characteristics (and that can change with age). For me
it's like a situation of having 10k or more of empty lines and just few
lines with text. Witch quickly scrolling the terminal up-down we can
instantly spot where is the text (without grep, tee, etc). This is the
effect of making some output red (or other distinguishing color).

I agree that sometimes red (especially on blue) can be less accessible
for reading.

>> It's fine, [colors] can be disabled. Other find them needed and this
>> is to be solved.
>
> It's been solved already - it's in pkgsrc.

I find it a little bit overkill to replace ls with gls and in some cases
it doesn't work (gnu ps on NetBSD? color-vmstat?).

> I am not objecting to implementing colorls (in whatever form), just
> requesting that the default is, and will remain, OFF.

Right it should be disabled by default and we could make Clang/LLVM and
other programs to respect getenv("COLORTERM"). I would like to have it
consistently supported in all applications.